Sunday, July 27, 2025

The One Where I Put Myself out There


Being vulnerable is hard for me. I never want to admit that there is anything I can't do by and for myself. While this is more true in my personal than in my professional life, it's prevalent. This entire summer was one giant risk for me. I am especially proud of my accomplishments in this class because I no longer feel like I am not technological. That is huge hurdle for me.

Case in point is this website listing 30 different web apps. I would have found this daunting in May. Today I just opened it, chose a couple to investigate, and picked one without even hesitating. I selected Storyline Online and looked for Spanish language books, since my new elementary school has quite a large Hispanic population. I found only two options that were available in both English and Spanish, but that is not bad considering that this resource is completely free. The one above is grades K-3, and the other choice was only grades 1-3. 

"An award-winning children’s literacy program, Storyline Online couples well-known actors with top illustrated children’s books. Each storytelling video features the actor’s dramatic narration, while skillfully animated illustrations unfold to tell the tale. The extensive teacher’s guide that accompanies each book / video includes a synopsis, standards, suggested grade levels, themes, activities, and printable worksheets. Storyline Online is endorsed by the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) and the American Library Association (ALA)."

English video     English teacher's guide     Spanish video     Spanish teacher's guide

As for the rest of the semester:

Which ones excited you most?

Module 1 Readings Pedagogy before Technology
Module 2 Environmental Scan
Module 4 Acceptable Use Policy
Module 4 Copyright and Fair Use

Which ones were most difficult for you? 

Module 2 Diffusion of Innovation
Module 3 Social Media
Module 3 AI Assisted Newsletter
Module 7 Wakelet Gallery Walk

Which ones will most benefit students?

Module 5 Teach Someone to do Something
Module 6 Universal Design for Learning
Module 6 Universal Design Virtual Tour
Discussion Boards based on the textbook 

I will wrap it up with food for thought on church mission work, which I found appealing and relevant as a believer.-Food for Love: Fighting for Grace in a World of Impossible Standards

"What have you overcome? What are you still battling? How are you leading your people? What has worked? What has failed? What is the local vision for community development? Who else is leading well? How is the partnership with your government? What systems are broken in your community? What is your greatest need right now? What is your greatest strength to that end?" My mission is to help everyone I encounter with anything they need. The best way to achieve my own calling is to listen to the community that I wish to serve.

4 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying reading what people found difficult and helpful in this course. It really brings home that we all have different strengths and that we really make each other stronger the more we lean on each other and work as a giant librarian team. I hope that we get to work together in the future! Good luck in your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that the summer courses felt a little overwhelming at times. It's definitely much more fast pace, but so enriching! It's definitely super hard for me to be vulnerable too, I hate when I don't know how to do something. This course definitely encouraged me to take some risks with my work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for highlighting Storyline Online! Anything that allows kids to access books more easily is so important for literacy-- which obviously affects their whole life in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought your reflection was so interesting and inviting. I love storyline online for my students. It's a great resource when they just need a break or when they're burned out.Or where they just need a little motivation to read.Thank you for including this one.

    ReplyDelete

The One Where I Put Myself out There

Being vulnerable is hard for me. I never want to admit that there is anything I can't do by and for myself. While this is more true in m...