Saturday, July 26, 2025

Ladies and Gentlemen, Please Scan your Environment!


"Established in 1949 by the consolidation of 12 rural school districts, Northside today is 355 square miles of urban landscape, suburban communities, and rural Texas hill country. As South Texas’ largest school system, Northside is the “Destination District” for thousands of families wanting a high quality school system," according to www.nisd.net/district (about).

Y'all I got an elementary librarian job in my dream school district last week! I had applied there twice prior to this. They have the premier school library program in the state of Texas, following best practices to the letter. This is evidenced by the fact that it was discussed in each and every one of the FIVE interviews I had with different campus leaders in NISD.

As a matter of fact, according to www.nisd.net/district/history, "Since the turn of the century, voters have passed six bond elections allocating over $3.6 billion to build 47 new schools and facilities and upgrading current buildings with new roofs, infrastructure, and technology."

It's easy to tell from the "Parents" section of the website what is valued in this school district. Headings of interest include "Library Services" and "Technology Safety." "Library Services" and "Digital Resources" also feature prominently in the "Students" section. The "Library Services" section prominently features a link to the Follett Destiny online card catalog. At the bottom, there is information about how to volunteer with libraries or join friends of libraries.


The "Technology Safety" section includes "Digital Materials with Approved Applications" and "Digital Defense: Safe Students, Secure Data." There is also a section for "Legislative Measures Safeguarding Student Information," including "Securing Children Online through Parental Empowerment Act (SCOPE)," "Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)," "Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA)," and "Children's Online Privacy Protection Rule (COPPA)." Additionally there is a section on "Usage of Student Data." I will not go into detail on the "District Online Safety Measures," as that was a prior assignment. Finally there is an extensive list of "Digital Wellness for Parents" PDF's, videos, and sites.

*In case you didn't notice, this is an effort at recruitment. We need 2 elementary librarians!*

**Update I found out at my new librarian training today that we are going 1 to 1 with carts this year and upgrading every 5 years.**

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on landing your dream job! It’s so exciting to see a district that truly values its library services and invests in technology and resources for students. Wishing you all the best as you start this new chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the job, that's amazing! Wishing you the best!!! Reading this list of digital resources is awesome as well. Call me if there's a secondary job opening for 26-27, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations onlining your dream job! I can see why your environment scan why you would want to work there and how much this library does to provide a great education for its patrons. The visual aid detailing everything that the library does was inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

The One Where I Put Myself out There

Being vulnerable is hard for me. I never want to admit that there is anything I can't do by and for myself. While this is more true in m...