If you know me, then you know Chat GPT is at the top of my no list.
Thank goodness this is a group assignment. My group is a pair of hip and young techie types! WHEW!
Group girl 1 to the rescue wrote our artificial intelligence prompt!
Write an email newsletter from a junior high school librarian to students and parents. Make the content near the top engaging for students, encouraging them to scroll to learn more. The goal is to excite and inspire students and parents and include a call to action to get the community more involved in the library. Include 5 upcoming events to highlight.
Group member 2 was assigned to be the super hero to take what was automatically generated and format it into a usable newsletter.
That left this old lady to critique it.
Honestly prior to this, I was straight up anti-AI. I personally find it to be terrifying. However, the subject line scoring marketing results that followed were worth it all by themselves. The score of 70 said that it lost 7 points for having 2 exclamation marks, 6 points for containing any word with more than 8 characters, 16 points for lacking subtle urgency, and 6 points for using over 50 characters. Therefore, I chose to substitute the first "urgency" option from the list that followed and changed the first exclamation mark to a question mark, thus making it meet all four of the point requirements. Then I took off the unnecessary information and tweaked it so that it would fit on 2 pages that could be printed front and back. All of this took me less than half an hour, and I am not even minimally technological. Someone more adept would have been much faster at it. As for what is missing, since this is a sample, it's hard to tell. The same is true for accuracy. It would have been better with the updated subject line initially.
Is it a help? In a competent group! Is it annoying? By my old lady self. Do I like the result? Absolutely yes! Thanks to my amazing group girls!

I can understand how AI can be confusing or difficult to use because of the different tools within a wide range of different platforms. I do think it takes time to understand it and use it effectively and throughly. I did have some problems with using Chatgpt, so I used the Canva AI tool since I am more familiar with the Canva application. I would like to give Chatgpt a try again to fully understand it and use it effectively.
ReplyDeleteCarrie, I agree with you!! I usually am team "NO" to ChatGPT, mostly because of how students use it as a replacement to their learning rather than an outlet to their creativity, but the result of our newsletter was actually pretty nice and fast! At first I was overwhelmed with the results, but I realized that adjusting the search provided better results. Thank you for sharing your insight on it :)
ReplyDeleteI used to be team no AI, but our digital tech leader on campus put it in perspective for me last year...As long as it is taught HOW to use it responsibly, I don't have a problem with it...too much. It's rather helpful to make to do lists, generate ideas for lessons, writing prompts, etc. I especially love how it can take a snarky email that I've written and make it more professional. :)
ReplyDeleteI love that you learned to appreciate AI! It does take practice and understanding of proper ways to use it, but it can be so helpful sometimes!
ReplyDeleteCarrie--
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate your thoughts on this! It was a pleasure working with you as a group on this and the other projects. You're totally right about the experience needed to use AI. People seem to think that it just does everything for you-- but you still need to learn how to use it!!
I think my mindset on chatGBT and AI was just like yours. I was so against it and the use of it just because it seems like another cheat code in a sense. However, the AI newsletter assignment made me see just how much easier can make something was quite helpful. I think it really comes down to the person using it and the ethics and integrity of that person.
ReplyDelete